[Gnumed-devel] Medication lists

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Medication lists
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 22:22:12 +0000

Even before we consider any extra functionality relating to the *prescription*
of medication, which we know is partly achievable through forms. there remains
unimplemented functionality relating to the patient's medical record of care
and treatment.

The main thing that I would like us to figure out earlier, rather than later,
is how to be able to keep in view a record of what a patient was *previously*
taking. Currently, we have a mixture with part of the information disappearing
into the audit tables and inaccessible except by going outside of GNUmed using
the gm-dbo credential.

Presently, it is possible to

(1) See what a patient is *currently* taking, and when they began to take it,
however

- the above risks to provide pseudo-accurate information because when the
medication was a result of previous (external) care or self-treatment, the
patient may recall only approximately when they started it whereas the column
in GNUmed "Started" holds only exact dates.
- alternatively misleading is when the default "today" is allowed to be saved,
when entering a medication that a patient is on for some time (currently,
leaving the date blank creates an UE, see separate bug report)

… is it acceptable to make "Started" optional?

(2) See what a patient was *previously* taking by inputting a medication and
discontinuing it

(3) Not see what a patient was taking prior to a change in dosage …. currently
when a line item is edited in order to alter the regimen or schedule, the
previously lower or higher amount of medication taken becomes lost in the audit
table.

So both (1) and (3) could benefit from further thinking and maybe before too
long revision to the codebase.

-- Jim