Re: [Gnumed-devel] Spell-checking

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Spell-checking
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 22:23:50 +0200

On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 04:12:42PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> >> Can anyone think of ways to be able to have spell-checking inside GNUmed?
> >>
> >> Can OS-level spell-checking get "inside" GNUmed
> >
> > We already have that. … [some] phrasewheels …
> > suggestions ... when there's no other suggestions
>
> I understand how the failure to match an existing phrase
> serves as kind of a spell check, Of course, this assumes the
> words used in the existing phrase contained no errors.

You are misunderstanding. I am saying that GNUmed uses
OS-level spellcheck via

        python-enchant
        enchant
        aspell / ispell / myspell

but if it cannot import python-enchant it will silently not do so.

> > However, it may make sense to splice spellchecking
> > into particular workflows at particular points.
> >
> > Tell me exactly where you would want to see spelling
> > being checked and we can devise ways to do so.
>
> I am lost in this thread, because I cannot see that GNUmed
> has ever made any spelling suggestions. Perhaps it does so
> only in Linux? On Mac OS (in X11), no words are shown in
> colour, nor underline squiggles, nor dialog prompts, ever.

wx.TextCtrl's don't support underlines or colours. The
phrasewheels show suggestions from the spellchecker.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de