[Gnumed-devel] Measurement workflows - measurement units

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Measurement workflows - measurement units
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 07:31:21 +0000

Part of what was giving me trouble was the belief that when I created a test type (whether it was through patient Measurement > Add or through the GNUmed menu > Master data > Manage lists), the units that I inputted with that new test type would be remembered.

I have now re-examined the schema and see that for the table

clin.test_type

the dialog that one completes when creating a new test type via GNUMed > Master data > ... (see screenshot) stores its value in the backend column whose actual name is

conversion_unit

whose Description is

"the basic unit for this test type, preferably SI, used for comparing results delivered in differing units, this does not relate to what unit the test provider delivers results in but rather the unit we think those results need to be converted to in order to be comparable to OTHER results"

Therefore I am thinking:

(1) I should not have created two different test types

weight (lb)
weight (kg)

but rather a single test type of name 'weight' and Conversion unit 'kg'