Re: [Gnumed-devel] automatically inactivate medications beyond prescribe

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] automatically inactivate medications beyond prescribed duration
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 19:37:26 +0000

On 2013-08-03, at 11:44 AM, Vaibhav Banait <address@hidden> wrote:

> When a medications is entered on say date first july for two weeks; on
> fifteenth july the medication continue to be remain active and sometimes
> inadvertently gets printed for another 14 days , unless I manually delete it
> or inactivate it. Is it possible to make the medication automatically
> inactive when the prescribed duration is over. This will guard against errors
>
> Vaibhav Banait

IMO a bad idea, because even when the inputted duration exactly matched a
prescription supplied by the clinician, the patient

- may have been delayed to start the medication, so they may still be "on it"
and the medication use remains "active" despite that this was not our intent
- the same thing is true when the patient paused or otherwise did not adhere
100%, and so their supply lasted longer than intended, or
- the patient found the drug helpful, and was able to obtain the medication
from the supply of someone else among their family or friends or other third
party

and last but not least, the duration might represent a "trial" duration, at the
end of which the clinician may want or need to reassess whether to further
extend it.

Therefore we should not auto-alter the *status* of a substance based on
'duration'.

We *should* however provide a visual clue.

How about shading the row, when now() is later than the intended duration?
Maybe with the same shade as abnormal measurements?

-- Jim