Re: [Gnumed-devel] automatically inactivate medications beyond prescribe

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] automatically inactivate medications beyond prescribed duration
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 22:06:09 +0200

On Sat, Aug 03, 2013 at 06:44:12PM +0000, Vaibhav Banait wrote:

> When a medications is entered on say date first july for
> two weeks; on fifteenth july the medication continue to be
> remain active and sometimes inadvertently gets printed for
> another 14 days , unless I manually delete it or inactivate
> it. Is it possible to make the medication automatically
> inactive when the prescribed duration is over. This will
> guard against errors

For one thing this desire stems from making GNUmed do
something it it not designed to do: prescription writing.

OTOH, how (when), code-wise, is this supposed to be effected ?

Currently, GNUmed is very conservative about second guessing
the user: a duration entered by the user is treated as a
target duration. Only when there's an explicit discontinue
date does GNUmed consider a medication as inactive.

What happens if (somehow) discontinued gets set when now >
start + duration ?   The patient comes in, supplies lasted
until yesterday, yet GNUmed shows that she's not on that
drug (the drug is inactive), although she really still is on
it. In this case she will NOT receive further supplies on
today's prescription (although she should !) because GNUmed
thinks she is NOT anymore on that medication.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de