Re: [Gnumed-devel] Medications plug-in, refactored - *Managing* medicati

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Medications plug-in, refactored - *Managing* medications
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 16:49:47 +0000

On 2013-08-04, at 9:30 PM, Jim Busser <address@hidden> wrote:

> ==================
> Pulling these together:
> ==================

In summary, for users who do not care to input durations and who wish only to
list a start date (when known), and a discontinuation date (when discontinued),
and whether or not a medication is long term, the appearance could be like:

        drug 1  ?
        drug 2  425 d
        drug 3  78 d (- 200 d)
        drug 4  200 d → … ∞

where

        drug 1  ?                                       <--- we did not
determine when it was started
        drug 2  425 d                           <--- he / she has been on it
for the past 425 days
        drug 3  78 d (- 200 d)          <--- he / she took it for 78 days
however stopped it 200 days ago
        drug 4  200 d → … ∞             <--- he / she has been on it for 200
days and is intended to stay on it
        drug 5  90 d (- 21 d) → … ∞     <--- clinician would need to engage the
patient in a solution

and if this clinician includes to input "Duration / Until", then these could
show like

        drug 6  261 d + 21 d (- 60 d)
        drug 7  282 d → 83 d

where
- drug 6 was taken an extra 21 days (past intended), but was then discontinued,
and
- drug 7 appears intended for 1 year, of which 83 days remain

Lastly, we *could* remove the current trigger constraint which prevents a
"Duration / Until" to be inputted for a drug which is "Long term", in order to
support the input of a Duration / Until by the end of which to
- reassess for continued effectiveness, or tachyphylaxis
- assess for known risks of long term toxicity, or
- to otherwise see the patient before approving an additional supply of
medication

then we can support to see both future (or past due) "intents to reassess /
re-supply", within a Long term medication (if not a long term dosage):

-- Jim