[Gnumed-devel] Managing unapproved-of substances

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Managing unapproved-of substances
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 05:31:38 +0000

It occurred to me that there are cases where, despite that a doctor does not
approve of the substances which a patient is taking, and in the case of
prescription medications would not have initiated them, the doctor is sometimes
in the situation of

1. counselling patients and attempting to get them to stop certain substances,
and therefore it could be appropriate for a clinician to input a planned future
date when a patient is supposed to quit alcohol or quit smoking, possibly in
conjunction with "support" medications which need tapering

2. patient who enter the praxis already addicted to drugs initiated by others.
It is my understanding for example that some patients with chronic dependence
e.g. benzo or barbiturate may require a long time to be able to be weaned off
them.

In these cases, it can even be possible that the clinician may (reluctantly)
prescribe something, despite that they do not approve of it.

Therefore, under our evolving display of medication:

        time segments prior to today → time segments after today

might "unapproved" medications need to be able to displayed in the same way as
"approved" medications?

-- JIm