Re: [Gnumed-devel] Unexpected backups

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Unexpected backups
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 17:21:24 +0000

On 2013-08-09, at 2:10 AM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I discovered via sudo ls -al in
>>
>>      /var/lib/gnumed/server/backups
>> … (backups)
>
> Installing the Debian server package helpfully creates a
> cron job for you running once per day:
>
>       /etc/cron.daily/gnumed-server
>
> That script first runs the backup script and then the
> zip+sign script. Both will read configuration from
>
>       /etc/gnumed/gnumed-backup.conf
>
> Setting the database name to "" will render dysfunctinal
> (all !) runs of the backup script.

I can understand how the directory would have contained just a few backups, on
account of the VM hibernating during periods of suspension.

However, I would have thought that since apt-get install <server> does not
itself create any GNUmed db, then can have existed no v18 to backup until I
would have bootstrapped it, at which point it should have immediately contained
the test data, which should have made it larger.

Therefore I am just a bit disquieted by being unable to account for why an
appropriate size backup did not happen until I ran the backup command manually?

The cronfile is as would be expected, I think:

======================

#!/bin/sh
# care for daily backup of GNUmed database

# This script only saves plain data without table structure etc.
# Normally you want to store the whole database
# DATA=/usr/sbin/gm-backup_data

# Backup of data and table structure
DATABASE=/usr/sbin/gm-backup_database

# Compress and sign backup