[Gnumed-devel] Re-contextualizing (tweaking) "clinically relevant"

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re-contextualizing (tweaking) "clinically relevant"
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 03:04:41 +0000

Having to decide about (and in some cases "mark") documents and / or lab
measurements as one or both of

        technically abnormal

        clinically relevant

risks to inundate clinicians with micro assessments whose value is at best
uncertain.

We worry about so many things that it can risk to cost our attention to the
macro things.

On one recent occasion when I was rather exhausted, I got annoyed that GNUmed
was inviting me to tag a persistently abnormal value as whether or not it was
clinically relevant and I did not bother.

Except when I later saw in the synopsis or journal

        Clinically relevant:  No

I realized that I had not actually *decided* it was not relevant … I simply did
not bother to interact with the checkbox as a result of which it did not remain
null but, rather, GNUmed -- on my behalf -- made it "No".

Can I suggest we rethink the utility of such check-boxing?

First of all, it seems to me strange that you would ever archive documents
about a patient which were not in every case of some clinical relevance, except
if they were purely financial or administrative in which case this could be
managed by a category of document under which they were filed.

The second thing is that within any patient, among all of those things which
all have at least *some* clinical importance, whether or not and how much they
are important will fluctuate over time.

It seems to me that among a patient's items are those which we may like to keep
"flagged" as being of greatest ongoing interest, and others which we might keep
flagged for a time, but then later decide they are not of so much interest.

So without asking for any changes in column names in the backend, can I ask,
and would people support, that in the GUI, we rename (and repurpose)

        Clinically relevant

        Keep flagged

with a tooltip along the lines of

        Keep this item flagged as having relatively greater ongoing, and/or
long-term, interest.

-- Jim