Re: [Gnumed-devel] Placeholder clarifications - nesting placeholders

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Placeholder clarifications - nesting placeholders
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 10:22:35 +0200 (CEST)

> On 2013-08-15, at 1:52 PM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >> Or maybe the code which processes the placeholder is
> >> unaware of the inventory of characters that would need to
> >> be escaped?
> >
> > It is (unaware of them) but it will still do so.
>
> Well <grin>, I did not mean *consciously* …

While funny, I did not mean that. I meant to say that "the code
which processes the placeholder" does NOT know the range of
characters to escape but it still does escape them.

> am I then to assume that
>
> (1) python ships with, and relies on, a module that pre-defines those
> characters which latex requires to be escaped,

No.

> (2) did someone like maybe yourself assemble a string somewhere in the code
> that the procedure references?

Nearly. The code processing the placeholder calls whatever escape
function the code telling it to process placeholders (such as a
form template instance) tells it to. The template, in turn, "knows"
that it is XML based or LaTeX based or whatever else format it
needs to comply with.