Re: [Gnumed-devel] jl-gui - access to log tables

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] jl-gui - access to log tables
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 22:03:47 +0000

On 2013-08-22, at 2:05 PM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> The latter. And that is because your last few mails were a
> culmination of a torrent of posts of increasing pressure.

I was highly conscious that I was (very possibly) increasing pressure. to at
least become clearer on current and foreseeable future state.

I hope that in doing so, I adequately contained any frustration, did not levy
unfair criticism, and did not give offence.

At least, that was my intent. My apologies if, at any point, I failed in those
areas.

I am now BTW, as a result of the last couple of posts, just about fully
satisfied that we are in about as good a position as our community can be,
taking into account our resources.

I ***only*** do not know about the decision that clin_when may not be null.
This would be technically easy.

It is only clinically objectionable, with the objection so far expressed only
by one.

We allow date of birth to be null.

We can default the values to be something, in order that no value can be
accidentally null. That way, any decision to empty a value, which goes beyond
revising a value to some known date, would have to reflect a deliberate
decision by the clinician.

This is, IMO, entirely reasonable for the way I would like to (be able to)
practice medicine.

I do not think it is so unreasonable as to justify to be kept currently
impossible.

IMHO it is a better solution to do it this way, and then eventually add the
functionality

        custom type 'timestamptz with accuracy

if and when it becomes available. Otherwise,

        "I agree that it really should somehow support not entering uncertain
dates."

risks to be a support that never, ever happens.

-- Jim