Re: [Gnumed-devel] restrictions vs. conventions (uncertain date-time)

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] restrictions vs. conventions (uncertain date-time)
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 15:04:38 +0000

On 2013-08-24, at 2:54 AM, Jerzy Luszawski <address@hidden> wrote:

> 1. if the date is less than DOB - the date is totally unknown (=DOB is
> not a good idea, as it could be exact date)

Karsten's primacy in developing, maintaining and releasing "GNUmed main" make
it sensible to defer -- until he expresses having better interest/time -- those
items are desirable to gain his participation.

Accordingly I will hold off a side-discussion that I had opened with someone
from postgres from whom I had asked some help around this uncertain date-time.

Their preliminary thoughts had included:

- that custom data types are not difficult

- however, what we would be talking about would not be a date or timestamp, as
these are basically stored as seconds from epoch

- off the top of their head, it would be a string type with special rules

- they offered some planning considerations around the semantics of this new
type, for instance: if I do a search where timestamp > 1975 will 197 show up ?

Having shared the above, I accept to drop, on list, the clin_when.

I do have a few questions of a more general nature, which will perhaps attract
comment.

-- JIm