[Gnumed-devel] Placeholders templates, and %s

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Placeholders templates, and %s
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 22:44:34 +0000

Getting close to done documenting this stuff … (?)

1. How best to disambiguate these meanings of template:

        'a file containing placeholders from which to make a document'

and

        'a formatted string defining an instance of placeholder content'

--> would these be suitably referred to as

        'form or document template'

        vs

        'string template' or 'line template' (is either wrong, or preferred)?

2. where it is written

        something %s something

(a) is the 'something' intended to represent any fixed text that the user may
like to include?

(b) I gather that %s is a special pythonic token, used to convert a specified
value to a string using the Str() function.

Accordingly, I follow when named columns have been specified such as, with
placeholder PHX, values like

        %(laterality)s
        %(is_active)s

but how does %s work in instances where it is used by itself, as in

        $<soap::soapu //%s::9999>$

… does it result in serial substitution across all columns, or only one (or as
many) as have been made into an erstwhile 'column(s) default' somewhere else in
the code?

-- Jim