Re: [Gnumed-devel] Placeholder soap family

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Placeholder soap family
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 17:46:24 +0000

On 2013-08-29, at 4:21 AM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

>> whereas higher up in the source I noticed in lines 123-129
>>
>>      •     u'soap',
>>      •     u'soap_s',
>>      •     u'soap_o',
>>      •     u'soap_a',
>>      •     u'soap_p',
>>      •     u'soap_u',
>>      •     u'soap_admin'  ... # get all or subset of SOAPU/ADMIN, no
>> template in args needed
>>
>> so
>>
>> 1) does the comment "no template" apply only to soap_admin ?
>
> It applies to all of the ones listed.
>
> They *can*, however, have a template. The default template
> is "%(narrative)s". IF a template is given the format needs
> to be
>
> $<soap*::template::length>$
>> 2) should the other soaps all have
>>
>>      something %s something else (may not contain //)
>
> yes, but that's optional

so in the guide I'm preparing, it would be reasonable to put

        args: template (optional)

        template: something %(field)s something else
        - if empty, defaults to %(narrative)s

>> 3) do all of the above soaps expect to be generating
>> tables,
>
> no, placeholders will (should) only generate tables if
> they say so
>
>> and are the pipes therefore essential between each
>> %(field)s in order for the output to be readable?
>
> no, that entirely depends on the target format

can I ask what would have been the target format that wanted pipes?

Some of my own document templates use pipes to define the columns of a latex
table into which the placeholder output will be injected, but in this case the
placeholder's output template needs to utilize the ampersand (&) as the
delimiter between the data.

But maybe this is some alternative use of the pipe within the output?

>> 4) is the same true (or not true) for the
>>
>>      soap_by_episode
>>      soap_by_issue
>>      soap_for_encounters
>
> You'd need to be more precise which parts of the above you
> wish to know also apply (or not) to those placeholders.

soap_for_encounters does not specify a template. Should I infer (as in the case
of the soaps earlier in this post) that the user can (but need not) use one or
more %(field)s absent which this output would default to %(narrative)s ?

and is the difference, in the case of both

        soap_by_episode
        soap_by_issue

in as much that the source document *does* specify

        … // template

that in these cases it is different … that there is no default, requiring
something %(field)s something else to be specified?

-- JIm