Re: [Gnumed-devel] Challenges in lab test aggregation

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Challenges in lab test aggregation
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 23:38:50 +0000

On 2013-08-30, at 4:15 PM, Jim Busser <address@hidden> wrote:

> and stopped to consider the situation where an originating laboratory might,
> over time, change the units in which it reports a result

… whether it would be …

>  the USA … go[ing] Systeme Internationale

or simply the lab changing its methods, as my own labs have done, without
always involving a new LOINC.

…

> Still needed would be a table to hold the conversion factors

which might be able to be populated from any of a variety of sources:

        Oxford University Press:

                http://www.oup.com/us/pdf/9780195176339/table_2.pdf

        UCSD Lab Medicine

                http://ucsdlabmed.wikidot.com/chapter-0

        NIH Endocrinology Expected Values & S.I. Unit Conversion Tables

https://science.nichd.nih.gov/confluence/download/attachments/23920688/Inside-Expected-Values_ESO.pdf

        University of California, San Francisco

                http://labmed.ucsf.edu/sfghlab/test/ReferenceRanges.html

and there is also this calculator (maybe even easiest to parse?):

        http://www.amamanualofstyle.com/page/si-conversion-calculator

-- Jim