Re: [Gnumed-devel] General practice

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] General practice
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 04:20:19 +0000

On 2013-08-31, at 7:45 PM, Vaibhav Banait <address@hidden> wrote:

> The logo mentions paperless emr for 'general' practice. How emrs differ for
> 'superspeciality' practices?

General includes medical plus surgical "specialties" which can then each have
"subspecialties".

I am not convinced that specialties and subspecialties should use a
*completely* different EMR than general (or even family) practice.

I think the back end (data structure) should be the same, regardless,

I mainly think that where clinicians will vary is in the *extent* and
*presentation* of patient information that they may desire to see or work with
at any time.

I can see Opthalmology as a separate case, where the need for interfaces into
the computer and custom applications, may be high.

Otherwise. for example (and while I am not a surgeon), I expect a surgeon wants
to know

- have they had, and did they tolerate, previous surgery?
- have they had, and did they tolerate, previous anesthetics?
- do they have any significant cardiopulmonary diseases, or bleeding or
clotting problems, including are they on dialysis?
- what is their general health like?
- what medications are they on, and do I understand what they are for?
- will the patient be able to consent to a procedure?
- does the patient have a social support system (people who can assist them
before and after surgery)
- what imaging have they already had done? can I access it?

I don't see any reason why they could not, or would not, use GNUmed except
maybe someone has put together a custom GUI that better appeals to different
specialties.

-- Jim