Re: [Gnumed-devel] General practice

From: Jerzy Luszawski
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] General practice
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 08:58:55 +0200

On 01-09-2013 02:45 "Vaibhav Banait" <address@hidden> wrote:

> The logo mentions paperless emr for 'general' practice. How emrs differ for
> 'superspeciality' practices?

I may be an example of speciality practice - I'm a neurosurgeon, and
what more, my areas of interest are relatively narrow, although there
are no subspecialities (nor "superspecialies" :) within neurosurgery.
In my private practice I deal mostly with children with spasticity or
peripheral nerve injuries. Is that narrow enough?

For me Gnumed works as a super-organizer of patient's data.
Since my early interest in EMR I adopted the idea of classification of
medical data into one of SOAP fields. In fact I use this idea wherever
possible, even outside of Gnumed. The tree-like structure of EMR with
"health issues"-"episodes"-"encounters" also corresponds well with my
thinking of problems.
Gnumed provides the easy way of searching and accessing patient's
narrative data. For me "easy" means that the GUI is designed with
principle of presenting the data in most useful way for physicians,
while many other EMR systems seem to be designed primary for entering
data for administrative purpose of a hospital.

Of course I have my special kinds of data I would like to see in
Gnumed. Unfortunately most of them I have to put in as imported external
documents, but still searching and retrieval is no problem. Meanwhile I
have developed plugin for surgical operation reports. And soon (well, in
couple of months) I will develop a plugin for recording various data
about spasticity, because I really need it.
Nevertheless, all these fit into the general design of Gnumed EMR
with a tree of "health issues"-"episodes"-"encounters"-[SOAP].

The important difference I can see from the posts in the list is that I
can deal with patient's problems in linear way, while some of you write
about dealing with multiple problems during one "encounter" which means
the health care is running paralel. There are some consequences
of such approach in backend design  which for me are unnecessary
complicating EMR tree, but can find my way in it, anyway.

--
Regards,
Jerzy Luszawski