Re: [Gnumed-devel] issue installing on Mac OSX 10.8

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] issue installing on Mac OSX 10.8
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 20:54:38 +0000

On 2013-09-13, at 2:38 AM, Tom Hallam <address@hidden> wrote:

Hey there,

I wanted to try out your program. I downloaded it and installed in my Applications as the instructions state.
However when I try to run it - it opens up for a moment and then closes down again. I think it is getting an error on start up and exiting. It does not provide an error message.

Do you know of any fix? I didn't see any information about this in the FAQ.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Thomas,

GNUmed on Mac is so far under-resourced.

Until such time as wxWidgets is upgraded on Mac, or someone more capable than I can build a package that circumvents current limitations, the best that I have achieved on Mac is as follows:

1. run it under X11 under a MacPorts installation, as outlined here, see option 2

2. even if you would get it to run, GNUmed on Mac has certain limitations:

(a) the GUI suffers the problem where if you open a modal GNUmed window, and this spawns a third window, on exiting the third window the second may be hidden behind the main GNUmed window and cause its buttons and the menu options to remain unresponsive until you would press Command-tilde and cycle to the second window and dismiss it.

(b) timeline plugin does not work

(c) a few other things may not work as cleanly

however I have still managed to use it.

If you care to try the above, I will be happy to offer whatever help I can.

-- Jim