[Gnumed-devel] GNUmed and PostgreSQL 9.3

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed and PostgreSQL 9.3
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 13:02:54 +0200

I have upgraded my development database to the recently
released PostgreSQL 9.3 (this does NOT mean GNUmed will
require 9.3 - the minimum requirement will remain at 9.1
starting with 1.4).

I can report GNUmed works just fine on the PostgreSQL
version. GNUmed now supports ensuring (to the extent
possible) that the new database feature Data Checksums

http://michael.otacoo.com/postgresql-2/postgres-9-3-feature-highlight-data-checksums/

is appropriately utilized for patient safety.

To anyone setting up a new PostgreSQL 9.3 instance it is
strongly recommended to make use of the new

        -k / --data-checksums

switch of the initdb program in order to ensure the new
cluster uses CRCs on data pages. This cannot be changed
after initial cluster setup.

Unfortunately, Debian does not so far support checksums per
default but it does support telling initdb of the desire to
do so by means of setting

        initdb_options = '-k'

inside

        /etc/postgresql-common/createcluster.conf

before setting up a new cluster. Upon setting this variable
pg_upgradecluster duly respects the desire to employ data
checksums on the new cluster.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de