Re: [Gnumed-devel] Problems restoring database on Mac - unsupported 'edi

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Problems restoring database on Mac - unsupported 'editor' command
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 11:53:25 +0100

Am Mittwoch, 6. November 2013, 10:38:55 schrieb Busser, Jim:
> On 2013-11-06, at 1:17 AM, Sebastian Hilbert <address@hidden>
wrote:
> > While the correct solution is debatable
>
> There are two classes of solution
>
> (1) those that are built into the packages, and
>
> (2) those which each end user (or their admin) must take care of
>
> Your suggestion within (2) is appreciated, and can be copied and implemented
> by myself and every other Mac user who would use GNUmed, however I was
> thinking a solution of class (1) might be helpful. Even a Mac package in
> which all shell scripts undergo global replacement of
>
>       editor
>
> to one of
>
>       nano
>       open -a TextEdit
>
> is possible however would spawn the need for another tree of packages.
>
> What if I provided a script to reside inside each of
>
>       gnumed-client.version/external-tools
>       gnumed-server/external-tools <--- this would need creating
>
> such as
>
>       modify-for-mac-os.sh

A noble offer and please do if you find the time. From my experience there is
no
way and no sense in trying to solve all issues in the global package.

I mostly automate the changes for each platform (as you intended) and let that
run during automated creation of end-user packages.

Testing for Mac in the global scripts however makes sense as long as a fairly
generic solution can be implemented.

Sebastian