Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstraping v19 without starting from v2

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstraping v19 without starting from v2
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 04:00:19 +0000

On 2013-11-11, at 4:28 AM, Sebastian Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thinking about it it might be a configuration issue on my side. On various
> systems I get asked for passwords repetitively.
>
> I want to be asked for root *once* and that is it. I don't care how it is
> done
> technically. I just don't want to put in the password every time v2-v3-v4-v5.
> You get the point.

On my laptop, it took 18 acknowledgments (and 30 minutes) to go from v2 to v19.

I am attracted to the idea of new users "restoring" a dump of whatever is the
current version of the db, for example version 19.

I was even thinking as a service to GNUmed to provide such a dump *after* first
removing much of the demo data.

It is only that other things have remained higher on my personal priority list,
such as lab import that has been sitting high on my to do list for many months.

Such a dump of v18 or v19, whenever it can be provided, can be something that
can later have the next upgrade run against it, to then serve as the basis for
a newer, higher-version dump

        current+1

Creating a GNUmed database beginning with v1 (v2) would remain possible in case
someone wishes to bootstrap anything lower than current, although I do not know
why they would want to.

Perhaps the curiosity of testing what earlier versions of the GNUmed client
looked like?

-- Jim