Re: [Gnumed-devel] external care entries

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] external care entries
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 22:10:41 +0200

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 07:45:24PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> I would welcome some description of how this class of information is to be
> separately handled within GNUmed. At the conceptual and/or schema levels.

Conceptually, "external care entries" allow to capture

        which patient

receives care

        for which problem
        which may or may not be identical to an in-GNUmed health issue
        at which external care location
        by which care provider at that location (if known)
        laced with a free comment

The idea is to allow to more fully capture where else a
patient receives care for what without having to resort to
making such entries first-class health issues within a
patient's EMR (since we may not be taking care of them
ourselves).

This can capture things like

        Dr.Heart is taking care of the cardiomyopathy
        Lakefield PT is taking care of orthopedic rehab and other PT needs
        the patient's GP is Dr.Broadband at Riverside Clinic
        the patient is being seen by the rheumatology dept. at Westfield
University for her SLE

At the schema level there's a table

        create table clin.external_care (
                pk serial primary key,