Re: [Gnumed-devel] external care entries

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] external care entries
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 21:21:22 +0200

On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 02:38:03PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> > Another place external care entries are used in GNUmed: to
> > populate letter receiver candidates the selection of which
> > can be effected by a placeholder.
>
> I notice that the receiver appears to have an associated address,

Of course, else it couldn't be a receiver, would it ?

However, don't get this wrong. There's no explicit notion of
"receiver" as far as the database is concerned. Receivers
simply are persons/identities in some way related to the
patient.

Any identity in GNUmed can have any number of addresses
associated with them. External care entries actually really
link to an org unit rather than a specific person (for which
there's a free-text field in the care entry table such that a
specific provider working at the org unit *can* be
specified). Each org unit can have one address associated
with it (and any number of comm channels).

> Is it envisioned for them to also (in GNUmed) have communication 'channels'
> like phone, fax, email?

They already do (see above).

> I am thinking that the phone number would be helpful for
> clinical discussions, and the fax (and email) channels
> helpful for the dispatch of the paperwork.

Sure, for external care (org unit) type receivers they are
shown in the tooltip if available.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de