Re: [Gnumed-devel] Similarity between our Patient overview and a handove

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Similarity between our Patient overview and a handover tool
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 10:34:09 +0100

On Thu, Nov 06, 2014 at 06:45:36PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> I attach a table (as screenshot) from this paper by the people at Mercy
> Hospital (in Chicago):
>
> Cemal Yazici, Hany Abdelmalak, Shanu Gupta, Anna Shmagel, Eman Albaddawi,
> Vivian Tsang, Steven Potts, and Vineet M. Arora (2013) Sustainability and
> Effectiveness of a Quality Improvement Project to Improve Handoffs to Night
> Float Residents in an Internal Medicine Residency Program. Journal of
> Graduate Medical Education: June 2013, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 303-308.
> http://dx.doi.org/10.4300/JGME-D-12-00175.1
>
> It has some similarities to our Patient Overview.

Except for a fundamental difference: While the patient
handover tool rightly focusses on smoothing shift changes
during intra-episodic care GNUmed's entire mission is to
foster longitudinal cross-episodic care.

Nevertheless, lessons can be learned, perhaps:

> I was wondering where within our current overview some like
> the "code status" (advance directives)

Advance directives would be encapsulated by reminders,
messages, and/or automatic dynamic hints. We are currently
lacking something like a per-patient scratchpad (as was
available in Richard's design). This is not hard to add -- if
people suggest places to put it I'd be glad to do so. This
would be an area to quickly jot down a note-to-self to "see"
later on (say, at the next visit).

> and diet (if special in any way, like dysphagic) can be
> shown / incorporated.

This points to our lack of structured "social history"
handling: diet, housing, ...  The only part therof which we
currently do support in a so-so way is employment.

Most of this _can_ be implemented with tags but I agree there
may be better ways (which I haven't thought of or else we'd
already support it).

Any suggestions ?