[Gnumed-devel] Revisiting limitations of the substance / medication "lis

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Revisiting limitations of the substance / medication "list"
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 05:57:26 +0000

Currently in GNUmed, once one has added a particular substance / drug strength
to a patient, one can

- delete it, or
- edit it, or
- discontinue it

which last-listed (discontinuation) doubles nicely as a "drug history" for a
drug that was previously but no longer currently taken, and which is easily
shown or visually suppressed by use of the "inactive" checkbox.

I think it is valuable to preserve this because, for example, when sharing care
of a patient it is very informative to whoever you would send a medical summary
to be able to include a list of current PLUS recently-tried medications.

However I have r into a proble-experienced the limitation where I cannot
restart a discontinued medication except after first deleting the row that is
"discontinued".

My scenario is one where methotrexate, at a tablet strength of 2.5 mg and a
schedule of two (5 mg) daily, had to be discontinued on account of a jump in
liver enzymes which, with cessation, have normalized.

It would be helpful to be able to see, in her medication list, that she had
taken 5mg daily until November 4th, and then started 2.5 mg daily on November
11th, but because these rows would share the same drug and strength, the
existing constraints on the table disallow them.

Can we consider to somewhat loosen the constraint

        patient / substance strength

to permit more than one such row PROVIDED no more than one can have a null
"date discontinued"?

-- Jim