Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 1.5.0 Feature Release

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 1.5.0 Feature Release
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 18:37:29 +0100

On Thu, Jan 08, 2015 at 05:21:27PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> > I am glad to be able to announce the immediate availability
> > of the GNUmed 1.5.0 Feature Release. It provides the
> > following bug fixes and improvements ...
> >
> > Note that this release, as usual, DOES require a
> > database upgrade which you need to install
> > with either
> >
> >     $> gm-upgrade_server 19 20
> >
> > or
> >
> >     $> cd .../server/bootstrap/
> >     $> ./upgrade-db.sh 19 20
>
> For people like myself who were only using client 1.4.9
> (not 1.4.10) and who were therefore using server 19.14 (not
> 19.15) can we do as above "from" 19.14 or would such a path
> fail on account of failing to take care of the database fixup
> scripts included in 19.15?

I think I know what you mean and the answer is yes but let's
get this straightened out so we speak about the same thing:

1)
> For people like myself who were only using client 1.4.9
> (not 1.4.10) and who were therefore using server 19.14 (not
> 19.15)

You are very likely using server 19.9 rather than 19.14 (and
certainly not 19.15 as that doesn't exist). A 1.4.9 client
would be complaining about a 19.14 server (though it would
probably work to ignore the warning) due to the database
identity hash had to change from 19.11 to 19.12.

2)
> can we do as above "from" 19.14 or would such a path
> fail on account of failing to take care of the database fixup
> scripts included in 19.15?

I would think this needs to be rephrased as:

> can we do as above "from" 19.9 or would such a path
> fail on account of failing to take care of the database fixup
> scripts included from 19.9 to 19.14?

Give that: no it should not fail and yes you should be able
to upgrade any v19.x to v20.0 because before attempting the
upgrade all fixup scripts are run again just in case. That is
why, as a technical requirement, they need to succeed even if
they had been run before.