[Gnumed-devel] Testing placeholders including free_text and tex_escape

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Testing placeholders including free_text and tex_escape
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 05:37:04 +0000

I was interested to test various placeholders and so, with Kirk selected in
order that Correspondence > Write letter would be available,

- imported the following snippet, pretending that it was adequately complete
for LaTex, and

- tried running it:

        % ================================================================
        % Prompt for an inside address and salutation:
        $<free_text::Inside address and salutation::9999>$

Which succeeded to prompt me with the text entry dialog box, however the
process may have entered an endless loop, causing me to kill the instance.

Two questions:

1. Provided that one is not doing this in a production database, and that there
is no expectation of a complete document, is this an acceptable way to test
placeholder formatting in a template?

2. If yes, is there anything that I can insert lower in the template, to avoid
the endless loops?

3. In the case where real free text (that I would intend to use) would include
line endings of \\ such as in a doctor's mailing address

        Dr.\ Louise Smith\\
        1234 Anywhere St\\
        Vancouver, BC X1X 1X1 2G5\\

        Dear Louise,

my placeholder had been

        $<free_text::Inside address and salutation::9999>$

however the news that for me to utilize "tex\\" was obsolete leaves me
uncertain what I need to do to achieve my intention.

… in the event that I would retain 'tex\\' would GNUmed simply ignore it?

… do I still require to check the checkbox, at bottom left of the free text
dialog, if I wish "Don not reformat text"?

… is the placeholder 'tex_escape' of any use here?

If yes, how would one use it?

If no, can an example be provided of where and how one would format (and use) a
placeholder for

        u'tex_escape': u"args: string to escape"

as      $<tex_escape::?????::>$

??