Re: [Gnumed-devel] Tweak suggestion for Measurements plug-in "All: by Da

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Tweak suggestion for Measurements plug-in "All: by Day" user interaction
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2015 15:33:50 +0100

On Sun, Feb 01, 2015 at 07:01:49AM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> >> I notice that in the "All: by Day" view, any date at left must be
> >> double-clicked before the associated content will be displayed.
> >>
> >> Would it be hard or easy for this instead to require only a single-click
> >> (if this would be agreed better)?
> >
> > Technically it is not hard at all. However, the code run on
> > double-click is fairly expensive (technically). People will
> > want to scroll the list of days, too, which would mean the
> > selection would happen in rapid succession.
>
> I'm not sure I understand … if double-click is (more) resource-intensive than
> single-click, wouldn't a change -- wherein a single-click will show the
> results -- be helpful?
>
> And as far as scrolling the list of days "too", is the concern that the user
> might click on a day simply as a place to mentally pause, or even make a
> stray click on a day, and as a result introduce brief unresponsiveness as the
> UI initiates a query for measurements that were not actually wanted to be
> seen?

Currently, on double-clicking a day the list of results for
the day is retrieved and formatted which includes several
queries to the database.

Scrolling the list of days doesn't activate (double-click)
any of the days until SPACE is pressed.

If single-click is configured to do the double-click action
then during scrolling each day change will run the
abovementioned code.