Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 1.6.10 Maintenance Release

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 1.6.10 Maintenance Release
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 19:40:43 +0100

It is always lagging behind some versions.

I would need to invest some significant time to make this up to date again.
Many things have changed over time.

Never versions of PosgreSQL , attached tools and so on.

There seems to be a new way of shipping thing in a distribution called
winpython. This seems to be portable by design and ship many (all ?) needed
modules.

If some can comment on winpython vs. portableapps (stuff everything into one
giant exe) is the future, let me know.

For the server part I consider it a problem to ship a PostgreSQL as
portableapp. While it can be done it can creates conflicts when another version
is already installed.

Even if it can be a rough ride for a newcomer to install PostgreSQL (it has
become a lot easier) I consider installing/configuring it seperately the
cleaner solution. Remember, this only needs to be done infrequently (often
just once every few years).

The real solution here might be some sort of container (e.g. vmware images)

Best regards,
Sebastian