[Gnumed-devel] heads up regarding Python3 / wxPython4

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] heads up regarding Python3 / wxPython4
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 15:12:21 +0200

Hi all,

a technical note:

Python v2 is being phased out

        https://pythonclock.org/
        http://whypy3.com/

and upgrading from wxPython 3 to wxPython 4 (wxPhoenix) is
much recommended

        https://wiki.wxpython.org/ProjectPhoenix

I have technically completed (as in: GNUmed runs fine but not
every corner of it has been tested) porting to wxPhoenix. I
am currently porting to Python 3, which is well underway and
going much smoother than I expected.

Debian, and in particular Scott Talbert, have done the
community a great service by providing various flavours of
Python and wxPython combination packages such as to make
porting both aspects a manageable, stepwise affair. Thanks
for that.

In conclusion: The future should be secured.

When porting has finished I plan on releasing GNUmed 1.8
which will not have any database changes (unless there are
bugs with that which cannot be fixed by releasing a 1.7 minor
version) and which will hardly have any changes in behaviour.
The goal is to be able to run 1.7 and 1.8 side-by-side
against the same database and switch back and forth as
needed.

Once GNUmed 1.8 has proven itself in the wild and eventual
bugs have been ironed out I will skip up to GNUmed v2.0.

This also means that GNUmed v2.0 will _require_ Python 3 and
wxPython 4 (which, technically, is not a problem even today).