gnump3d-devel

Re: [Gnump3d-devel] request for library function: show files

From: Steve Kemp
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-devel] request for library function: show files
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 21:47:29 +0000

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 12:06:22PM -0600, Adam DiCarlo wrote:

> serveDirectory in /usr/bin/gnump3d as well as plugins/search.pm both
> have routines to display a list of files.  In some prototype work I
> was doing (browing by album, artist, etc, a la iPods) I also needed a
> function to display files.
>
> I think there should be a function which takes a list or a listref
> containing a set files, and displays them using the current template
> and configuration.

  Yes this appears reasonable.  If you look at a lot of the plugins
 I've put together thus far there's a specific format for each.  Mostly
 this is ignored, and the canonical form of doing this is the code
 in bin/gnump3d; around line 2057:

        elsif ( $line =~ /(.*)\$SONGS(.*)/ )

  .. and below.

  There should probably be something more general purpose, but I've
 not thought of how to paramaterise it.  I believe accepting an array
 of, fully qualified, filenames, a sort order, and a display format
 should probably be sufficient.

  If you have an API you think you need I'd be happy to try to
 accomodate it, or listen to arguments for something different/else.

  If any work you are doing supports something new _and_ the current
 code I'd almost certainly accept a patch.

  Does that help in any way?

Steve
---