Re: [Gnump3d-users] utf-8 problem

From: Steve Kemp
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] utf-8 problem
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 18:17:37 +0000

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 05:38:58PM +0000, Oliver Beckstein wrote:

> I am running version 2.6 on a Red Hat 8.0 box. Perl is 5.8.0.  locale:
> en_GB.UTF-8. A small problem, however, is that some of my ogg files seem
> to have non ASCII characters in either their filenames or the comment
> fields. The statistics module appears not to be too happy about it.
>
> [Statistics > Most popular] produces error messages before printing the
> lists, eg
>
> Most popular songs
> Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected non-continuation byte 0x5f,
> immediately after start byte 0xe9) in pattern match (m//) at
> /usr/bin/gnump3d-top line 264.

  I confess I learnt of my current UTF-8 knowlege by changing things
 at random until my songs worked correctly!

  I've dabbled in updating the code to deal with things, in a variety
 of manners.  But in short I know that the code is lacking, and this
 hasn't been adressed at all in the recent changes.

  I'm hoping that somebody knowlegable will step forth and show me
 what exactly I need to know, but I know that a lot of things changed
 in some of the recent RedHat releases concerning locales, and that
 Perl has  .. interesting .. non-ASCII support.

> I have little experience with perl/UTF so I would be grateful for
> suggestions what to do to have gnump3d cooperate with non-ASCII song
> titles.

  I'm honestly not sure.  I know that I can filter them out, but this
 only makes the problem a little easier - I still have to manipulate
 such strings when it comes to serving the songs, so it only helps the
 presentation.

  Sorry to be so clueless.

Steve