Re: [Gnump3d-users] Out of memory when indexing files

From: Steve Kemp
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Out of memory when indexing files
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 23:43:23 +0100

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 03:38:29PM -0700, darren david wrote:

> thanks for the quick response. I gave it a shot, and it dumped out at
> 5601 files with the same "Out of memory!" error. I tried reducing the
> limit to 1000 files which seemed to fix the memory error, however it
> overwrote the existing tag cache every time it looped through. :(
>
> I see what you're getting at though, any other obvious trick i might try?

  Well if you remove the existing cache file, then you could change the
 following line:

    open ( OUT, ">$cache" ) or $error = 1;

  at the top of the function 'indexFiles' to read:

    open ( OUT, ">>$cache" ) or $error = 1;

  ('>' becomes '>>').

  That should cause the future entries to be appended rather than
 overwriting the old ones.

  I can see that I'm going to have to think through a real solution
 though...  Grr!  ;)

Steve
--
# The Debian Security Audit Project.