[Gnump3d-users] gnump3d, foobar2000, id3v2, and UTF-16LE

From: Justus Pendleton
Subject: [Gnump3d-users] gnump3d, foobar2000, id3v2, and UTF-16LE
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 17:00:53 +0000 (UTC)

After installing gnump3d and indexing my music I found that a large number of
files were had garbage info displayed in the HTML listing.  I also couldn't
stream these files to foobar2000.  Looking at the song.tag cache, I found there
was garbage in there as well for the tags.  I wrote a quick script to use the
bundled gnump3d::mp3info and found that it was returning garbage tags.  After a
bit more investigation I think the problem is that the tags were written by
foobar2000.  They were id3v2 tags and had been written in UTF-16.  foobar2000
uses the little endian representation of UTF-16 and set a BOM (Byte Order
Marker) to indicate that.

The gnump3d::mp3info library appears (although I may be wrong) to simply be a
repackaged version of MP3::Info from a while back.  MP3::Info added support for
UTF-16LE in 1.11.  After I downloaded and installed MP3::Info I changed
gnump3d-index from

use gnump3d::mp3info;

use MP3::Info;

then I reindexed everything and all the tags appeared properly.  Any chance of
getting a fix for this into gnump3d, either use the system MP3::Info or update
the bundled gnump3d::mp3info?

Thanks,
Justus