Re: [Gnump3d-users] Trouble streaming files ending in .m4a

From: Stan Mulder
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Trouble streaming files ending in .m4a
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 11:36:45 -0400

 If we're talking about Linux/Unix, there is a standard utility called 'rename' that works very well to rename files.

Mark Mykkanen wrote:
I think you are on the right track.  Search for a
renaming utility on
http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=mp3+name or
sourceforge.net.  Depending on your distro, you may
have some renaming utilities as precompiled binaries.
I use gentoo which has at least krename and detox for
renaming files.  Most renaming tools are scripts which
don't require compiling.

I think winamp is still capable for streaming, just
doesn't seem to have a long history of streaming .m4a
files.  BTW, you can't fool it by renaming .m4a ->
.mp3, winamp reads the headers and will get confused.

Seems to me that your optimal solution is to convert
.m4a -> (.ogg || .mp3) and wait for technology to
catch up.

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 06:39:04PM -0500, kracker