Re: [Gnump3d-users] it's possible to have a demon for dinner?

From: Steve Kemp
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] it's possible to have a demon for dinner?
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 18:52:21 +0100

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 07:20:43PM +0200, Simone Saravalli wrote:
> Hi all, this is my first post in this mailing list, I appreciate very
> much gnump3d, so I've decided to install it in my personal home
> server. Perhaps, this server isn't always up, in fact, during the
> night I stop it (the computer is too closer to my parents'bedroom
> so...). So every time I start it, I have to do a gnump3d --fast from
> the command line. In my opinion, for computers always up, or for users
> that don't want to type gnump3d --fast to start the server from the
> command line every time, a good idea is to create a demon and then to
> run it automatically (for example a simple bash script that can be put
> in /etc/initd/, for example). I don't know if this is a good idea so,
> hints, opinions?

  It's a good idea.  The Debian package does exactly this, there's
 an init.d script which reads the contents of the file /etc/default/gnump3d
 (if it exists).

  This allows you to specify additional arguments to be used when starting
 it.  By default I setup the package so that users get '--fast' appended
 by default.

  The script is simple:

/etc/default/gnump3d:

STARTUPOPTIONS=--fast

/etc/init.d/gnump3d

 . /etc/default/gnump3d

case "$1" in
 start)
        start-stop-daemon --background --start --quiet /usr/bin/gnump3d
$STARTUPOPTS
        ;;
 stop)

etc.