[Gnump3d-users] Why %20 instead of literal space?

From: Jack Twilley
Subject: [Gnump3d-users] Why %20 instead of literal space?
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:48:06 -0700

I have tried to post some AVIs on my gnump3d server. I used the same naming convention I use for MP3s. I have selected an MP3 and an AVI out of my collection to demonstrate the problem.

First, the files in the local filesystem:

/mp3/jmt/Teng, Vienna/Warm Strangers/02 Harbor.mp3
/mp3/jmt/Horizon Group/Learn to Knit/03 Introduction.avi

Here are the direct links to these files:

http://www.twilley.org:88/jmt/Teng%2C%20Vienna/Warm%20Strangers/02%20Harbor.mp3
http://www.twilley.org:88/jmt/Horizon%20Group/Learn%20to%20Knit/03%20Introduction.avi

Here are the lines from the browser window:

Teng, Vienna - Warm Strangers - Harbor [ 04:23 / 6.2Mb ]
03%20Introduction

I'm thinking the MP3 lines come from the ID3 tags, but AVIs have no such tags (which is a shame, but neither here nor there) so it goes by filename. Can %nn codes be converted to their literal meaning when displayed in the browser window? Thanks!

Jack.