[Gnump3d-users] Wide character in print at /usr/bin/gnump3d-index line 4

From: Mezlo
Subject: [Gnump3d-users] Wide character in print at /usr/bin/gnump3d-index line 445.
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:48:47 -0500

I'm running gnuMP3d 2.9.5 on CentOS 4.1 and Perl 5.8.5. When I index my MP3s, I see a lot of the above warning. Searching Google, this is apparently related to how Perl 5.8 handles unicode. A suggestion for Mime-Defang was to add "use bytes;" before and "no bytes;" after the offending line. I did this and the warnings went away. However, since I don't know what files were causing the warning, I can't test to see if everything still works or not.

My question is, is this really the correct way to remove the warnings? Since I don't know what "use bytes;" truly does, I don't know how it may affect the output.

Mezlo

PS - I was using "Tag & Rename" to edit my ID3 tags and had the "Write unicode data into ID3v2 tags" option enabled so this warning being related to unicode makes sense. I've now disabled this option but don't really want to go back and re-edit what I've already done.