Re: [Gnump3d-users] cannot get flac to work with gnump3d

From: Stan Mulder
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] cannot get flac to work with gnump3d
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:53:24 -0400

address@hidden wrote:

Hi folks

I hope you don't mind another question about this but I've read
everything I can find on this list and elsewhere but it's just not
working for me. I'm running Fedora Core 4 and have installed
gnump3d-2.9.5. I can stream mp3 and ogg files fine. Unfortunately, my
whole CD collection (~530 discs) is in flac format so I'd really like
this work..

I added the following entries to /etc/gnump3d/mime.types

application/x-flac                           flac
audio/x-flac                                 flac

and also to /etc/mime.types just to be sure.

However, even though the files are shown in xmms (or winamp) for me,
they will not play. I can definitely play flac files with either of
these programs as long as they reside on the local disk and are not
being streamed.

If I try to download them with lynx, the mime type is clearly shown as
audio/x-flac for these files but they still don't play!

Any suggestions you have would be appreciated!

Cheers,
-patrick
Seems I read this solution somewhere:

1. audio/mpeg                   mpga mp2 mp3 flac

Yes, it's weird. Can't remember why that was suggested.

And if using xmms:

2. get the most recent xmms flac plugin (http://flac.sourceforge.net/)

3. Xmms was not properly handling .flac extensions. Problem file is mpg123.c. It's fixed in the xmms cvs version.