Re: [Gnump3d-users] Suggestion: Make it possible to delete filesfrom int

From: Stuffed Crust
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Suggestion: Make it possible to delete filesfrom interface
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:36:49 -0500

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 02:20:40PM -0500, Tyler Graves wrote:
> I'm sorry, but I don't agree. File management software?? Gnump3d is file
> management software! It organizes my files and presents that to the user in
> a nice format. In my mind it is lacking the functionality I'm suggesting.

You may want to try out Ampache (www.ampache.org) instead, it seems to
do what you want.

> Why would I want to install yet another piece of software just to delete
> files? This interface was designed to be used remotely and I don't know of
> any other interface that is more suited to cleaning out bad MP3s from a
> collection then the one presenting them to me.

One simple reason -- it adds a great deal of complexity for little gain.
We suddenly have to worry about user accounts, permission models, many
new and different attack vectors to the server, DoSes, etc.

GNUMP3d does one thing, and does it well.

> This seems like a natural progression of the project. Like adding files to
> the DB... why should I jump over to FTP to do that when the interface is
> perfectly suiting for this functionality?

Because the interface *isn't* suitable for this functionality, and there
exist far better alternatives.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy                                   ICQ: 1318344
Melbourne, FL