Re: [Gnump3d-users] Feature request for "Song" variable and reverse sort

From: Steve Kemp
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Feature request for "Song" variable and reverse sort order
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 00:01:10 +0000

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 01:00:55PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:

> Sounds like an excellent idea--do you know (or anyone else for that matter)
> when and if this "new language translation"  feature will be implemented?

  There is code present for translating error messages, etc.  The
 actual themes are more "hardcoded".  I think it would be best to
 allow the names of things to be set in the configuration file
 as that doesn't involve modifying the templates.

  eg:

  song_label="Song|Songs"
  movie_lable="Movie|Movies"
  directory_label="directory|Directories"

  I'll add this code in the next few days, in time for the next release.
 I'm going to recode all the themes in a  more sane manner to make this
 easier to deal with too.

  In terms of languages look at the files in gnump3d/lang/*.pm, these
 contain the language files, and the relevent one may be activated
 by running:

    gnump3d --lang=en

  etc.

> The only other issue is support for reverse sorting--is that currently an
> item on the "gnump3d Feature Request List"?

  Not yet.

> For that matter, is there such a thing as a "gnump3d Feature Request List" to
> get a feel for what is coming down the pipeline?

  Not really.  I try to follow the two mailing lists with my copious
  free time (tm).  I don't think I'm doing a great job of keeping up
  with the various requests - but I'd happily accept praise ;)

 In terms of the future to be honest very little is planned.  I'd like
 to go over the code and make a final cleanup in the 2.9.9. release,
 including a simplification of the tmplates then pretty mcuh call
 it a day.

  I don't really see that there is too much to be added and I'm not
 going to be allowed to take anything away either ;)

  The current TODO list as I see it is:

    1.  Add a new plugin to show "most recently added music", path:
        http://server:port/new/

    2.  Cleanup code and get rid of the *awful* prototype usage.

    3.  Update the templates to be HTML::Template files.

    4.  Unify the filetype tag parsing via a *simple* plugin system,
       so I don't have to keep fixing things.

    5.  Change the plugin code to be based upon real classes with
       three actions:

        * Pre-serve   - e.g, rewrite input.
        * Post-serve  - e,g, rewrite output.
        * Explicit path hanlding - what we have now.

    6. Release 2.9.9, allow bugs to shake out.

    7. ??

    8. Profit

    9. Release 3.0.0

   10. retire.

  OK the last few weren't entirely serious, but I'm not so far off.  I
 fully accept that people are waiting on different things and I'm the
 choke point.  By opening the core more to allow external code to
 drive things I hope this problem will go away.

  Still feedback is both welcome and appreciated.

  (I think I'm waiting on a couple of patches people have promised/
 suggested too - so they'll go in as soon as they arrive).

Steve
--
http://www.steve.org.uk/