Re: [Gnump3d-users] mp3 downloading

From: C. Menge
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] mp3 downloading
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:29:18 +0200

address@hidden wrote:

> A user of my gnump3 server pointed out to me today that in order for
> him to download my mp3 files he had to right click on the download
> link, pick save as, and then specify in the download box that it was
> of type mp3.  A lot of work for the average computer user.  He's
> using IE and I've had the same problem on Firefox and Opera web
> browsers.  Is there something I can do to my set up so that gnump3 is
> more user friendly (left click on download and download starts)?

No, this is a setting to be made in the user agent (=browser).

If the browser is set to immediate playback (e.g. a browser plugin
claims the mp3 file and plays it), or the browser is set to pass mp3
files (actually, this should read "audio/mpeg" files) to a player,
there's nothing the server could do about it.

In the Mozilla suite, those setting are made via "helper applications".
Unfortunately, the possibility to make those settings manually in the
preferences menu is limited in the dumbed down Firefox (you noticed I
don't like FF? ;-).

If http://miniprep.caltech.edu/~remote/blog/?p=72 doesn't work (e.g. if
you can't find audio/mpeg in that list), I recommend asking what to do
about it in a FF newsgroup.

       Cédric

--
 Unrecoverable Error #666: Armegeddon in 30..29..28..27.