Re: [Gnump3d-users] Cant play mp3's with special chars

From: Stan Mulder
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Cant play mp3's with special chars
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 15:54:19 -0400

I've experienced this problem going from a Linux server to Windows/XP Winamp. Apparently some characters that are fine in Linux aren't okay in Windows. My solution is a kludge: I move my mp3 files to a windows mount first before moving them to their final resting place on the Linux server. The bad filenames (Latin characters, etc.) can't be moved to the Windows mount until they are fixed. I've fooled around with easytag (a great program, BTW) but could not get the character set outputting the right thing. Oh well, I'm stuck with my kludge. Maybe there's a better solution.

Chris Hendrickson wrote:
Chances are your clients aren't sure how to handle the special characters, try another one.

It tested ok with WinAmp, Windows Media Player, iTunes, Media Player Classic

18 - Sí Do Mhaímeo í (The Wealthy Widow)
http://<host>/CD/Celtic%20Woman/Celtic%20Woman/18%20-%20S%ED%20Do%20Mha%EDmeo%20%ED%20%28The%20Wealthy%20Widow%29.mp3.m3u

01 - Act I - Scène (Allegro giusto)
http://<host>/CD/Tchaikovsky/Swan%20Lake%20CD1/01%20-%20Act%20I%20-%20Sc%E8ne%20%28Allegro%20giusto%29.mp3.m3u

Chris Epicier wrote:
Hi there

I can't play songs with special chars either in file
name or directory name:

http://xxxx/Sine%20Calmon%20%26%20Morr%C3%A3o%20Fumegante/
Sine Calmon & Morrão Fumegante

wehen I request one song of this directory I get:
Sine Calmon & Morrão Fumegante - Morrão
Fumegante.mp3.m3u
which holds
http://xxxx/Sine%20Calmon%20%26%20Morr%C3%A3o%20Fumegante/Fogo%20na%20Babil%C3%B4nia/Sine%20Calmon%20%26%20Morr%C3%A3o%20Fumegante%20-%20Morr%C3%A3o%20Fumegante.mp3

If I cut and paste http://xxxx/Sine%20Calmon%20%26%20Morr%C3%A3o%20Fumegante/Fogo%20na%20Babil%C3%B4nia/Sine%20Calmon%20%26%20Morr%C3%A3o%20Fumegante%20-%20Morr%C3%A3o%20Fumegante.mp3
in a browsers url, the mp3 gets downloaded and can be
played without problems. So the streaming fails

My setup:
all server boxes suse 9.3, clients w2k with zinf
updated to yesterdays state
box1 mp3 files, all same usrer:group
box2 gnump3d v2.9.8 as available this morning

clients use zinf or xmms
w2k box: zinf says stream not available

any clue?

greets chris