Re: [Gnump3d-users] Linux newbie questions

From: Tim Wunder
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Linux newbie questions
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 08:33:52 -0400

On Saturday 01 July 2006 6:01 pm, Iain Cheyne wrote:
> Hi all
>
> So far, I'm really impressed with gnump3d, but I have a few questions:
>
> 1. I put gnump3d into my /etc/rc.local file, but every time I boot, all the
> settings in gnump3d.conf seem to be reset. Specifically, I have to change
> the port and music folder every time.

What, specifically, did you put in the rc.local file?

> 2. When I startup, it tells me that about 3 or 4 files/folders do not have
> enough permissions. As I was in a hurry to get it working I just chmod
> 777'd them, but there must be a better solution.

 Please give the specific error. What were the permissions on the files and
folders in question.  The files and directories just need to be readable by
gnump3d, AFAIK.

> 3. Can I use a url for my gnump3d homepage, which does *not* include the
> port number:8888? My work's facist firewall blocks all URLs with port
> numbers.

Are you asking us to help you break the rules established by your employer?
The default http port is 80, specifing a URL without a port reference will
cause the browser to try to connect to port 80. Typically, that's the port
that Apache listens to.

> 4. Can problems 1 and 2 be fixed by using a user other than gnump3d? I'm
> not sure what the significance of this user is. Reading
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/189, Steve Kemp recommends
> that I set the permissions to my music folder to a "music" group. I tried
> that in Krusader, but failed. How do I do it recursively from the command
> line?

Problems 1 & 2 seem unrelated to me. Why do you think changing ownership of
the music folder will fix problem 1?

FWIW, try 'man chown'
Something like 'chown -R', IIRC, will recursively change ownership.

HTH,
Tim
--
Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux), Linux 2.6.17-1.2139_FC5
 08:15:02 up 4 days, 22:42,  1 user,  load average: 1.16, 1.18, 1.47