Re: [Gnump3d-users] Test the pre-release?

From: Steve Kemp
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Test the pre-release?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:31:58 +0100

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 09:18:49AM -0400, Stuffed Crust wrote:

> My personal view is that it's not worth ripping out until there's a
> pressing need to do so.

  Probably true, the only reason I mentioned it was because I get
 a fair number of personal mails asking for help and they are mostly
 relating to windows.

  Too often I just have to say "Can't help.  Run with "--debug"",
 although there are sometimes cases when I can help they are often
 less than I'd like.

> It's sad to see you move on, but that's part of "personal growth" (or
> whatever it's called these days) and to that I say... thank you.  Thank
> you for gnump3d, and all of the work you've put into it.

  Thanks :)

  I'd be sorry to never touch the project again, but at the same time
 I can't help thinking that most of the ideas I have for future
 development involve scary databases (even using sqlite) and that is
 almost a complete u-turn from how things have been so far.

  ie. the current code makes use of no non-core modules and tries
 to be portable.   My ideas for work mostly involve removing lots of
 custom code and replacing it with HTML::Template, DBI::SQLite,
 HTTP::Server, etc.  That would make the code

    a)  Smaller

    b)  Simpler

    c)  Easier to understand, extend, and modify

  But the downside is that there would suddenly be major portability
 issues for windows people, as well as a bigger list of dependencies
 for the Linux/Unix people too.  Something that most people seem to
 be against.

> While there probably isn't much to be done towards active development,
> maintainence is another matter entirely, and I'll volunteer for that --
> at least I'm familiar with the code I'm not responsible for mangling.  :)

  Thats very much appreciated.  You already have CVS commit access and
 that probably applies to the website too - although to be honest that
 doesn't get updated very often.

> I've been using CVS head for a while now, including the pre-release.  It
> works for me, but then I can't say I do anything fancy other than having
> a massive library..

  Great!

  I'll try to sort out a release over the weekend, once I've updated
 the bug reporting code to do something other than mail me personally.
 Perhaps just summerise the details into a form and suggest posting
 to the list?  I'll think about that for the next day or two.

Steve