Re: [Gnump3d-users] Test the pre-release?

From: Stuffed Crust
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Test the pre-release?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:00:29 -0400

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 05:08:54PM +0100, Steve Kemp wrote:
>   I could switch to the SQLite immediately, but I'd want to redo
>  things properly from the core outwards, via some HTTP module and
>  that really suggests a rewrite more than a reworking.

True.  I've apparently blocked out my memories of debugging gnump3d to
figure out "just where the @#^@ is this snippet of HTML coming from?"

> > ...I'd personally like gnump3d to become a mod_perl application; that
> > way we can let apache handle authentication, access control, TLS/SSL,
> > and other things like that, and focus on the music side of things.
> > Needless to say, that would require a "rewrite from scratch" approach.

>   Making it be a CGI script would be fairly simple, but then you might
>  be better using something like mod_mp3...

Running gnump3d as a CGI app is something I've considered -- but for my
purposes it would be so slow as to be unusable.  I like gnump3d's usage
model, and everything else I've looked at (mod_mp3 included) are
intended for different uses.

The mod_perl route is a logical extension of "don't reinvent the wheel",
scales far better, and be far more configurable (especially WRT
security) but it also completely destroys GNUMP3d's simple setup -- one
of its greatest strengths.

It's the classic "scalability vs simplicity" and "features vs
simplicity" tradeoffs.

On the flip side, with the improved modularity that would come from the
HTML::Template rewrite, making it optionally run under mod_perl wouldn't
be that hard.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy                         pizza at shaftnet dot org
Melbourne, FL                          ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^