[Gnump3d-users] Downsampling, generalized

From: Ross Mohn
Subject: [Gnump3d-users] Downsampling, generalized
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 16:55:07 -0400

I've got everything downsampling correctly, finally!

I downsample everything to the Ogg Vorbis format using the FFmpeg utility. To do this, I first add the following line to the end of the /etc/gnump3d/mime.types file. It must be at the end so that it overrides any settings earlier in the file:

    application/ogg    ogg flac wav m4a mpc wma mp3

Here are my default downsampling commands. I've tested them with file types ogg, flac, wav, m4a, mpc, wma, and mp3. (I need the '-ac 2' option in there because I have several mono recordings and FFmpeg can only encode Vorbis in stereo right now.)

    downsample_high    = ffmpeg -i $FILENAME -acodec vorbis -f ogg -ac 2 -ab 96k -
    downsample_medium  = ffmpeg -i $FILENAME -acodec vorbis -f ogg -ac 2 -ab 64k -
    downsample_low     = ffmpeg -i $FILENAME -acodec vorbis -f ogg -ac 2 -ar 22050 -ab 32k -

To simplify things, I made a patch so that you can include default downsampling commands to your /etc/gnump3d/gnump3d.conf file (as shown above). The code to do this is available on my Gnump3d web page at http://waxandwane.org/view.cgi/gnump3d .

Cheers! -Ross
P.S. I still need to look more at the security issue Jim Lucas brought up last week!