Re: [Gnump3d-users] Root on another partition

From: Steve Kemp
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Root on another partition
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 00:01:31 +0000

On Wed Nov 14, 2007 at 23:52:08 +0000, Paulo Moura Guedes wrote:

> > > However, with /mnt/data as root dir, I can only make it work with user =
> > > root.
> >
> >   Yes, since user 'gnump3d' doesn't have permission to read that
> >  directory.
>
> I tried with my user ("mourao") which, as I said, belongs to plugdev.

  By default gnump3d runs with user=gnump3d.  If you say that you've
 changed that to 'user=maurao' and that fails then I'm going to guess
 that it is an issue of the *primary group* of the user which is
 causing problems.

  From memory the code, when started by root, tries to change to
 the primary group of the user - then the actual user.  So if the
 primary group of 'gnump3d' is 'gnump3d', or something else, then
 this will fail.

  Simplest suggestion is to change the primary group.

  If that fails then run:

    su - gnump3d

  Then show us the output of :

    ls -l /mnt/data/