Re: [Gnump3d-users] Messages during indexing

From: Brandon Kuczenski
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Messages during indexing
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 09:34:04 -0700

slugman wrote:
Thanks for the  quick reply. I let the indexing run through and lo n' behold
I am now a happy gnump3 streaming camper. Setup port forwarding and tested
the connection at my campus--works flawlessly. Now I am on to figure out how
to patch this thing to work with http password.
Slug

Don't bother-- htpassword support was removed in v3.0 as it was completely ineffectual. (since e.g. Winamp doesn't know how to enter a password, only the directory listings were passworded, which provides only minimal protection).

External access control (e.g. a firewall, perhaps one that uses MAC addresses to limit access) is a better bet. The machine you're using for port-forwarding is an ideal candidate to implement this. You could, for example, construct an SSH tunnel instead of forwarding the port to everyone. Though, if I may ask, why bother?

-Brandon