Re: [Gnump3d-users] Gnump3d help - will index but not stream

From: Jim Lucas
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Gnump3d help - will index but not stream
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 10:44:48 -0700

On 9/19/2011 9:35 AM, Richard Wheelock wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> Thanks for the help. I'm running version 3.0. Would rolling back to a
> previous version help?
>
> I don't have anything set for the binding_host or the hostname - both lines
> are commented out with a #. I can get the exact same results from any other
> another PC on the network by using the media server's private IP address
> (and over the internet if/when I configure port forwarding on my
> router).Would setting a hostname help? I don't have a static public IP
> address, so I think setting binding_host might screw things up if I tried to
> stream over the internet.

If you do not have a static IP, you will run into some trouble trying to get it
working over the internet.

First, un-comment the binding_host and set it to your internal network IP.  At
minimum, make sure your internal IP is static.  Then, in the hostname section,
you will need to put a hostname that is handled by a dynamic dns service.  Setup
the dns update software on a machine that will call out to said service to
update the ip to hostname whenever it changes.

Not positive, but if you do not have the binding_host set, it binds to localhost
only.  Check out the output of netstat to be sure.

also, make sure that your FW has a forward for your listening "port".